If you are upgrading you office to a standing desk, make sure you know the most important tips on how to make the right choice.
Standing Desk Questions: What To Know Before You Get Started
WorkWhileWalking.com has amassed a large body of expertise on the proper setup and use of office fitness equipment, including standing desks, treadmill desks, desk cycles, cable management kits, file cabinets, ergonomic monitor arms, keyboard trays, balance boards and standing mats, and it’s all in one place — right here! The advice below comes from the top experts in treadmills, ergonomics, office technology, and the medical field. Through the collection of articles below, we’ve tried to tackle all the common standing desk questions & practical tips we can:
- Should you pick a standing desk or standing desk converter?
- How hard is it to assemble a standing desk?
- Do I need a balance board for a standing desk?
- How do you install a keyboard tray on a standing desk?
- Do weight ratings on standing desks really matter?
- What is the standard desk height?
- How do you compare warranties on standing desks?
- What are the differences between ergonomics and ergodynamics?
- Can you trust Amazon reviews of office fitness equipment?
- Why do some standing desks shake more than others?
- How many calories can you really burn using a standing or treadmill desk?
- What is ANSI/BIFMA?
- How important is UL certification?
- Do treadmill desk weight ratings really matter?
- Does your treadmill have enough power?
- What is a migratory standing desk?
- How do you clean sanitize and disinfect your standing desk?
- What are the best stretches to do at your standing or treadmill desk?
- What is NEAT Certification and why does it matter?
- Where can I find promo codes for office fitness equipment?
- How long should you walk at a treadmill desk?
- How do you stay hydrated and avoid sweating at a treadmill desk?
- How do you lubricate a treadmill?
- Why is my treadmill squeaking, scraping, or hesitating?
We strongly recommend reading the standing desk questions & practical tips in this section before setting up your own active workstation. And if you’re already using a standing desk, or a treadmill desk, you’ll still find tons of great advice on improving workstation ergonomics.
Everything you ever wanted to know about grommet holes in computer desks, what you can do with them (like adding grommet-mounted desktop power modules), and how to cover them if you're going to use them only for cable pass-thru.
We’ve helped thousands of users get their first treadmill desk, so we tapped our staff experts for their favorite tips to new users.
Mayo Clinic: How Many Calories Can You Really Expect to Burn Using a Standing Desk or Treadmill Desk?
The question of exactly how many more calories you can burn using a treadmill desk hasn’t been thoroughly understood, until now.
In this primer we cover everything you need to know about how to install a SteadyType keyboard tray on a treadmill desk.
When it comes to weight ratings on electric desks, the simple answer is that “you get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.”
Does your job require you to spend hours hours sitting in a chair? We have ten tips for getting your employer to pay for your treadmill desk workstation.
The easiest way to picture your most “neutral” position is to think about how astronauts’ arms hang when they’re floating in their sleeping bags.
Given that more than 90% of the standing desks sold online today are built on Chinese-made, commodity-grade lifting bases, the introduction of inline brushless DC motor actuators has the potential to truly disrupt the market.
It is best to stretch before mounting the treadmill, to take frequent stretch breaks and stretch at the end of every session.
Do your feet hurt after using your standing desk? We can help. Learn our top five ways to keep your feet happy while using a standing desk.
A brief guide to the review criteria we use in evaluating treadmill desks, stand up desks, sit stand workstations, and other ergonomic products.
If you're trying to lose weight using a treadmill desk, these tips are essential for you to get the most bang for your buck.
Taller workers looking for a treadmill desk may need to make special considerations, but don't let a treadmill's added height compromise ergonomic safety.
Keep in mind that using a treadmill desk is the best way to combat sitting disease but it is not a substitute for getting aerobic exercise
Unless you already spend several hours a day walking, you will feel some new muscle pains if you overdo it. We provide our best treadmill desk walking tips.
It may not seem very important at first blush but it turns out the width of the belt can be a very important criteria in choosing a treadmill base.
A top speed capability of more than 4.0 mph is the first giveaway that a treadmill desk’s base unit was borrowed from an existing running treadmill model.
Treadmill weight limits or weight ratings are almost meaningless when being used " in a walking desk application. Here's how to really evaluate them.
Experienced treadmill desk users have learned to accumulate intensive writing tasks for those hours when they are sitting or standing.
Keep in mind that when walking at a treadmill desk, even at 1–2 mph, your body will be evaporating more water than usual.
Treadmill desks can be shaky contraptions if not set up properly. Learn how to isolate vibrations from the treadmill and from your body's swaying motions
Treadmill desk placement can be tricky in some smaller offices so take the time to really think it through before assembling your treadmill desk.
The biggest safety issues for treadmill desk users are potential minor injuries from improper ergonomics or insufficient stretch breaks.
Perhaps the most common misconception about treadmill workstations is that they are "exercise desks." This just isn't the case.