Egofit Walker Pro Treadmill Base Review
Like most reviews sites, our editorial staff and laboratory testing expenses are partially offset by earning small commissions (at no cost to you) when you purchase something through those links. Learn More
This is an unfortunate example of sham fitness marketing by a Chinese manufacturer that clearly doesn’t know that a) the average stature American couldn’t possibly use a treadmill this short and narrow, b) the five-degree built-in incline will raise users’ heart rates well into cardio range and make it completely impossible to actually type while walking, c) the 70 dB noise level is incompatible with thinking while walking much less being on a phone call. And the list goes on. From what we have already seen even before our formal lab testing is completed, this treadmill is a safety and ergonomics travesty that should probably be avoided at all costs.
As a dog treadmill, perhaps.
|MSRP / List Price||$399|
Only one year
Handheld remote control
245 lbs is the claimed maximum user weight. We are highly dubious of this rating as a typical 245-lb user would have too long a stride length at even the slowest possible walking speed to be able to use this contraption.
70 dB at full speed of 3.1 mph
Has a Bluetooth connection to a barely functional smartphone app
|NEAT™ Certified by Mayo Clinic||
|Competition||Compare to All Standalone Under-Desk Treadmill Bases|
|User Reviews||See reviews on Amazon|
|Where to buy||
Buy on Amazon
|Quality and Aesthetics|
|Suitability for Treadmill Desking|
|Positives||CHEAP. Can be returned within 30 days if purchased through Amazon but may be subject to "being charged a restocking fee up to 50% of item's price for used or damaged returns"|
|Negatives||The belt is too narrow and short for all but the smallest people to use without significant safety risk. Very noisy when being walked on. Ridiculous warranty. Atrocious ergonomics.|
This product is currently under review by our expert treadmill desk team. Below is some basic product information until our reviewers have concluded their lab testing. To be notified of the final published review please subscribe to our free monthly Office Fitness Club Newsletter. It should be noted that we gave an early read on this product when it was still an Indiegogo campaign. The final product that the company still decided to manufacture and sell is no better than the one they previewed.
- Technically this is, as the Chinese manufacturer Egofit claims, the “Smallest And Lightest Treadmill You Can Find In The World”.
- Arrives fully assembled.
- There is no desktop controller. The unit comes with both a handheld remote control and a free smartphone app to control the treadmill from your smartphone. The LED readout is down on the ground in the motor housing of the treadmill.
- Claims to have an automatic lubrication system.
- Claims a noise signature under 70dB at the max speed of 3.1 mph, which is the same as a coffee grinder. Many users complain of a high “whooshing sound” while in operation at any speed.
- Claims a max user weight of 245 lbs, which we find hard to believe because the belt itself is only 33.5″ long. An optimal belt length for the slow walking speeds of a treadmill desk user is 50″, and many treadmill desks go over 60″. The next-shortest walking treadmill base is the Unsit Walk-1 at 40″, and this is already dangerously short for even average height users. So we just have to wonder where they found a 242.5 lb user with such a short stride length. Furthermore, the belt is also far too narrow at 16.5″, similar to the Exerpeutic Workfit 2000 treadmill. Decent belts are 18″-wide and the best width for treadmill desking is 20″ or wider.
- The design utilizes a ramp to decrease the load on the motor by having gravity help out. The problem is that this ramp will place most users out of the NEAT zone and firmly into cardio heart rates, and at a vacillating typing height, making it absolutely useless for actually working while walking despite the photographs of claptrap treadmill desk setups the manufacturer uses in their advertising.
- Users are shown in socks, which is almost as bad as being barefoot in terms of potential injury. Just one of many telltale signs that Egofit is chasing the treadmill desk market without understanding the first thing about the ergodynamics of working at a treadmill desk.
- A sweep of all available user reviews on Amazon, unreliable as they can often be in this category, indicate very consistent problems with this product, chiefly:
- Hard to move in and out of position, and the wheels break extremely easily.
- Very noisy; users say they have to wear headphones when using it and to pause it when on calls.
- Very high failure rate out-of-the-box or within short order, including of replacement units that customers received.
- Remote is extremely hard to use, readouts down on the floor are hard to see (impossible while actually walking at a desk), and the smartphone app barely functions.
- Only very short users have a somewhat reasonable experience, however even they do not realize the risks of walking with such a short stride as necessitated by the 33.5″-long belt.
- Difficulty in getting decent service.
As you can already tell, our review team members are not fans of this product. In fact, it may take the prize as the worst treadmill desk base we’ve ever reviewed. Even just watching their own model demonstrate the treadmill in use, you can see her foot leaving the deck right as her toes reach the rear roller of the treadmill, and her hips swiveling awkwardly in maintaining a too-short stride length. This is extraordinarily dangerous and we strongly suspect that this treadmill lacks UL certification. If so, no consumer, much less employer, should ever allow this thing onto their premises. We have sent an inquiry to the company requesting proof of certification but have not heard back from them at this time.
Item dimension: 37.8” X 21.2” X 6.8”/96x54x17.5cm
Item Net Weight: 55.1lbs/25kgs
Max Capacity: 242.5lbs/110kgs
Walking area: 16.5”X33.8”/42x86cm
Speed range: 0.6-3mph/1-5kmh
Ergonomic Fixed incline 5°
Remote control Start & Off
APP control Start & Off and record
Comes fully Assembled